Blog Has Moved

This blog has moved to wordslessspoken.com, including all old posts. Please update your links and join me there.












Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Wandering in New Orleans

Downtown New Orleans

I've been working down in Slidell, LA for a few weeks and have had to make a few trips into New Orleans. I've tried to avoid downtown as much as possible. The one way streets with no left turns or u-turns are a little overhwhelming. I think it took me over thirty minutes to get from the front of Tulane University Hospital around the block to get into the parking garage. I managed to get into town a little early before lunch and decided to drive around a bit. The only place that I seem be able to find my way around easily is the "Vieux Carre."

French Quarter

I haven't been to the French Quarter since Katrina. I was surprised to find so many tourists and so much activity. I couldn't resist stopping. I walked the river bank for a little bit then went down to French Market and was lured into an outdoor cafe by live blues music. I had a shrimp poboy and thoroughly enjoyed the music and atmosphere. With thirty minutes to spare before my meeting I wandered down the road to Cafe Du Monde to have cafe au lait and beignets. What a terriffic escape from the day, and a far cry from the frustration of driving in circles!

Riverfront

We've all heard so much discussion about New Orleans since Katrina, but I have to say that we all need to withhold our criticism and cynicism until we take a trip there for ourselves. It is a place all to itself that still has a charm and magic that cannot afford to be lost. I stopped at a red light behind an athletic looking guy my age in a car with two stickers on his back windshield. One said, "Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran" and the other "Forget Iraq. Rebuild New Orleans!" Seems like he's more than qualified and justified in his opinion. After today, I can't help but think he's right.

St. Louis Cathedral

1 comment:

mike said...

"With thirty minutes to spare before my meeting I wandered down the road to Cafe Du Monde to have cafe au lait and beignets. "

Now you've got me lusting again. Thou shalt not tempt thy brother!!!!!!!!!!!

This Blog Has Moved

This blog has been moved to wordslessspoken.com. All old posts have been moved to the new blog also.