Blog Has Moved

This blog has moved to wordslessspoken.com, including all old posts. Please update your links and join me there.












Monday, June 04, 2007

Giant Cherry Tomatoes

Garden Update:

Ok, I've got tomatoes coming out my ears. I'm picking about a quart of cherry tomatoes and at least two nice size tomatoes every day. There are usually four or five cucumbers ready every week. The bell peppers and jalapeƱos are shiny green and good sized. The squash and zucchini... Well, they taste great, but I've had a heck of a time with powdery mildew and yellowing leaves, although the blossom-end rot has subsided. The plants are just nasty looking and laying all over my other plants. I'm about to pluck up the zucchini and plant some pole beans or more cucumbers in their place.

Oh, my cherry tomatoes are over 9 feet tall, and that's after I cut them off. People have been accusing me of not pruning them when I say this, but I have pruned them constantly removing any "suckers," new shoots. The main stem is over 9' feet tall. I cut them off at the top of the new 10' PVC pipe I'm using for stakes now. Why cut them off any shorter when they're loaded with clusters all the way up to the top. I've just about picked all the cherry tomatoes on the lowest clusters up to about 2-3 feet up the plant. The newest clusters are still forming at the top. I can't give them away quick enough! It's been fun.

No comments:

This Blog Has Moved

This blog has been moved to wordslessspoken.com. All old posts have been moved to the new blog also.