Blog Has Moved

This blog has moved to wordslessspoken.com, including all old posts. Please update your links and join me there.












Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Life Out There

I've spent much time in my life contemplating things that are bigger than myself, such as God, time, space, and where I belong in all of them. Like all good Star Trek fans, I've wondered if there really is intelligent life beyond our own solar system or our own galaxy. Scientifically, mathematically, it is highly likely that life in some form must exist elsewhere. It would seem that such a discovery would decimate the coddled world of Christian Orthodoxy. Personally, I believe that God created each of us for the enjoyment of loving and knowing us. I don't feel any less unique or loved because He loves you too, nor would it shatter my faith to learn that God's creative hand is at work in the heavens millions of light years from here.

After 10 years of being completely absorbed in ministry and the life of the local church, it's easy to become isolated and disconnect from the world. For years I've been alone in the solitude of my thoughts asking questions that exceed Sunday School answers. This past year has been a journey of discovery for me about who God is and who I am, and through this process I have rediscovered that there is life out there beyond the Bible belt and mainstream program Christianity. I've met many socially rebellious thinkers in life, especially in the world of academia, whose worldview rationalizes away the mystery, but there are genuine Christ followers out there asking similar questions as I am and deriving similar answers from going deeper in their faith and not farther from it.

This past year an ongoing conversation with a like-minded friend at Sim Church has encouraged me that I'm not losing my mind. In the midst of wading into deep waters together, our faith has been strengthened not demoralized. Connecting with other seekers has been a tremendous encouragement on this journey for both of us. George Barna's book, Revolution, really crystallized the reality that we are not alone nor are we spiritual deviates. It is possible and altogether necessary at times to leave the church in order to be the church, and I have discovered that some of the most passionate followers of Christ are not plugged into the traditional church at all.

Barna has documented that many believers are running hard after Christ but fast from the mainstream church. He might has well announced that life has been discovered on Mars, and they are coming to dinner. The mainstream church will have one of two similar knee-jerk reactions: denial or nuke 'em. This trend is not as simple as a more contemporary worship style in vogue at the moment. Just as gazing at the stars gives us a view into creation past, the emerging church movement gives a glimpse into creation to come. Our own experience in the local church confirms the departure of the faithful and the cry of the heart for more of God than can be packaged into three services a week, three points, and a poem. This is not just an alternative to church as we know it. It is the arrival of a fresh move of God stirring up people whose hearts are longing for Him.

Recent documentaries I've seen described how stellar nursuries are formed from the debris left from the violent explosions of dying stars. The same core materials are regrouped and reshaped into new stars nurtured and incubated until they are ready to shine. I think its time for the light of the church to shine brighter to overcome the prevailing darkness in our culture. I don't celebrate the decline of the church's influence, but I hope that through this transition God can raise up even more passionate followers of Christ to usher in a new move of God that will reach our culture. While none of us have a complete picture of where God is leading us, each of us must do our best to follow hard after Him wherever He leads. The words of Mordecai to Esther echo in our ears, "Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14 NKJV

2 comments:

Max Inclined said...

I don't know that much about the protestant church and have not read enough of your blog to know what type of christian you are, but I've always felt that the purpose of organized religion is to create a social structure with rules -- in a word, castes -- and to keep people hemmed in (or out). What you said about having a great love of Christ and running away from organized religion strikes me as true and in many ways a predictable reaction to a strong love of Christ.

At the same time it also makes me think of the monk who hides himself away from society in an attempt to find his god. Is this actually a good thing? Isn't the first rule of Christ to love your fellow man? Would you take this to mean that you cannot truly know Christ without being a part of society?

Lyndon said...

Thanks for taking the time to read my comments and sharing your own. I agree that one of the purposes of organized religion is to create social order. The Old Testament as well as several other major world religions rely upon laws or rules that must be followed in order to maintain social order. However, when Jesus came He said that He did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. After Christ, social order in the life of His followers is not maintained through rule-keeping. We are supposed to receive a new nature with behavior motivated by love and not compulsory obedience to keep the rules.

I think that much of traditional protestantism results in isolating Christians from others who believe differently. Many of these little churches are indeed like monasteries. Again, Jesus called us to be engaged in the culture. He modeled that lifestyle by reaching out to the outcasts of His society not the religious elitists.

No, I don't think that you can truly know Christ if you never leave the security of the local church and engage the culture. Jesus is the ultimate example for us of how to reach out to others without compromising who we are as followers of Christ nor condemning them for who they are.

Thanks again for the comments.

This Blog Has Moved

This blog has been moved to wordslessspoken.com. All old posts have been moved to the new blog also.